The evolution of 'Cell Phone Bifocals'

Feb 2018 |  I have been an Optometrist for over 20 years and I have noticed an interesting sign-of-the-times (maybe only to other Optometrists! LOL)  Even 10 years ago, I always used a reading distance of ~40cm to calculate the power required on bifocal glasses.   Only if my patient liked to sew or fly fishing would I venture to hike up the reading power and reduce working distance.   These days cell phone have completely changed the distance at which we read.  Over the last few years my patients' bifocal lenses are universally stronger... driven by the need to see phones at a close reading distance.  There has been some new innovative lenses to help deal with this problem so that things 'in-between' like dashboards and shelves and old-school computer screens are still clear.   We are problem solvers at Studioeyecare.com    See you soon,  Dr.j